At this moment I’m filling out pre-orientation documents that are getting to be a bit personal. hitting home for sure.
I know of many friends and family right now that, along with myself, are going through short-term or even long-term transitions and changes. I suggest that you go through these questions and answer them yourself. Often we go into new situations with pre-conceived expectations and have not even thought that perhaps they may not pan out as expected. Maybe we need to think more, at least even become aware in our minds that some things may turn out differently, even in the simple, every-day mundane activities.
Still thinking— how can this apply to other pursuits and activities in my life? I want to take time later and think through this as a possible tool for organizations and entreprenuering. If you know of any other tools out there that are similar to this, please let me know!
Do you expect:
1. to be bored? What kinds of situations could produce boredom for you?
2. to have a schedule set up for you? to know what’s happening next on the schedule? to have a part in making the schedule? How do you expect to respond if it changes?
3. to eat national food? Where would you expect to get this food?
4. to enjoy the smells of the country?
5. to have peace, quiet, and privacy? to sleep at night?
6. to get sick? What type of remedies do you expect to be offered to you if you do get sick?
7. to suffer? What do you understand “suffering” to be?
8. to receive mail? Or emails? to have access to the internet? How often?
9. to have ups and downs? What makes you up and what gets you down? How do you get out of a down?
10. to get along with teammates? to get angry? How do you normally relate to a team?
11. to be involved more in hands-on ministry? How do you expect to do this? Do you see daily chores as ministry?
12. to accomplish anything? What is accomplishment to you?
13. to be faithful in your devotions and prayer times?
14. to encounter Christians with different beliefs? What to you would be a different belief?
15. to be compared to the previous worker that was on your field?
16. to make friends with nationals? How?
17. to share Christ with someone? How do you imagine doing this?
18. to be challenged spiritually? What is one area of your life you would like to be challenged?
19. that God will change your life forever? What steps do you plan to take to make that happen?
20. to be understood by friends and family when you return? How will you react if this doesn’t happen?